In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln, considering the many blessings we have received from God, established the 4th Thursday in November as a “day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens,” writing, “No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God … It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People.”
As we approach that time of the year, let’s look at some of the Biblical admonitions to offer thanks for the various things only He can provide (spoiler alert: football is not one of them).
This is a contest to match verses from the Bible with where they are found in the Bible. There are three age categories of entries:
1) adults (19 years old and older)
2) youth (ages 13-18)
3) children (any child under 13 who can read, although parental help is allowed)
There will be prizes!
1) adults: a gift certificate for the General Store at the Christmas Market and Village
2) youth: a coupon for two treats at the Christmas Market Bakery
3) children: a coupon for two crafts of your choice at the Children’s Craft room at the Christmas Market
Learn about our Christmas Market at https://www.facebook.com/An-Old-World-Christmas-Village-Market-100509916683638/
Anyone can enter. You do not need to be a member of Joy of All Who Sorrow. Include your friends and neighbors! Share the challenge and have fun.
Listed below (1-11) are various verses from the New King James bible related to thanksgiving. Below them are various locations (addresses) in the Bible where these verses are found. Match the verse with its location in the Bible. The answer to #1 is provided for you below as an example.
Send your answers to annetteglass03@ gmail.com. If you can’t e-mail your answers, Anna will accept them over the phone. Questions? E-mail Anna or give her a call at 317-373-6835. All correct entries will be entered in a drawing for the prizes. One prize will be awarded for each age category.
Deadline: All answers must be turned in to Anna no later than Saturday November 30, 2019 at 10 p.m. (in order to award prizes Sunday, December 1, 2019).
1) In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
2) I will give You thanks in the great assembly; I will praise You among many people.
3) Oh, give thanks to the Lord! Call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples!
4) But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
5) Sing praise to the Lord, you saints of His, and give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name. (Dedicated to Mary Drippé who leads us in singing praises.)
6) We give thanks to You, O God, we give thanks! For Your wondrous works declare that Your name is near.
7) It is good to give thanks to the Lord and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High.
8) So we, your people and sheep of Your pasture, will give You thanks forever; We will show forth Your praise to all generations.
9) Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.
10) At midnight I will rise to give thanks to You, Because of Your righteous judgments.
11) “We give You thanks, O Lord God Almighty, The One who is and who was and who is to come, because You have taken Your great power and reigned…”
a) 1 Corinthians 15:57
b) Psalm 79:13
c) Psalm 119:62
d) Psalm 106:1
e) 1 Thessalonians 5:18
f) Psalm 75:1
g) Psalm 35:18
h) Psalm 92:1
i) Psalm 30:4
j) 1 Chronicles 16:8
k) Revelation 11:17
Example: The answer to #1 “In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” is e because #1 is found in e “1 Thessalonians 5:18.”
We recommend you double check your answers. Even the creator of the contest had to go over it several times to make sure there was a correct match for each verse!
This is an interesting and fun activity for most ages. Try it while you’re waiting for your holiday meal to cook. Consider it as a family activity to celebrate the holiday. Think about saving the verses and using them for meditation during the year.
Again, if you have questions, call Anna at 317-373-6835. Enjoy!